Sunrise

Prayag Verma | Saturday, November 09, 2013 | 2 comments


As an engineer at Airbnb, I do a LOT of interviewing. I talk to at least two to three people a week, but sometimes it's as many as 5 or 6. All of my interview questions involve asking people a technical question that we can work through to generate real, working code.

Usually, I'll whiteboard the question and we'll spend a moment talking about possible approaches. But the goal is to get the candidate to start writing code quickly so we can get to a solution.

We've all been faced with the terrible, knowledge-based, "I could look that up in 1 minute but I don't have a computer" question. Worse are the gotcha questions that you wouldn't be able to solve unless you happen upon a moment of brilliant insight. The questions I ask aim to avoid that.

Good questions are fun and engaging for candidates. Good questions also always have a path forward. If the candidate is stuck, I should be able to give a hint that allows them to get unstuck but that doesn't give everything away.

I like to arrive at some running code that solves at least a subset of the problem at the end of every interview. If my question just wasn't going well with a candidate, getting something running keeps them from spiraling down a mental failure vortex, and allows them to relax and focus on the next interview.

Preparing to Ask a Question
A lot of work happens before you ever see a particular interview question. First, I myself have probably solved it in one or two possible ways. The first time I solve it, I try to give myself the same constraints a candidate would have -- limited time, no previous knowledge, no specific preparation.

Next, if I'm the one who came up with the question, I will ask it to a few of my coworkers to get a basic calibration. If someone else came up with the question, then I have probably sat in on (shadowed) a few interviews where the question was asked.

By the time I ask you, I am familiar enough to quickly know the various dead ends and blind alleys that you can fall into. I know of a few ways to steer you towards something that would work. Finally, I know how people of various experience and skill levels usually perform. I know enough to be amazed at your quick and clean approach. Alternatively, I've seen how good whiteboarding goes bad and results in spaghetti code that's impossible to debug.



Email Newsletter

Like what you read here in this blog post?
Get more like it delivered to your inbox daily.



2 comments: